Friday, February 19, 2021

Fishing 2021 - Thinking Small. And I don't mean smallmouth bass.

The days are just a bit longer and the temps decidedly less frigid.  I'm thinking about fishing.  And as mentioned in a prior post, I'm thinking small.

I've started to assemble my kit for Microfishing, the bizarre pursuit of finny critters too small to bite on conventional tackle.  Oh, I had a few things already that might have served.  These small ice fishing jigs for instance worked very well on Creek Chubs.


But those are grossly oversized for serious microfish.  Good grief some of those hooks are as big as a penny!  So I ordered something.  From Japan obviously.


These hooks are tiny.  How tiny you ask?


Because nobody would want to, or in most cases be able to, tie these onto a line, they come pre-tied on a wisp of nylon line.  It's the sort of thing you have to handle very carefully.  Not because you might hook yourself - I'm not sure you'd even notice - but because these would be very easy to lose.  I am still looking for the ideal Microfishing tackle box.  Clearly it would be pocket sized, but has to also have room for my best pair of reading glasses!  

Looking forward to posting pix of fish small in size yet great in gallantry and guile in the months ahead.




No comments: