Friday, January 24, 2020

Schedule of upcoming Speaking Events

Now there's a post title I never thought I would use.   For those who know me only in the virtual sphere I should explain that I am by default something of an introvert, and the notion of standing up in front of sizable groups of people and informing/entertaining them would not have occurred to me until rather late in life.

But my odd little hobbies have taken on their own life, and people seem interested in hearing about them.  So here's what I'm up to in March and April.

March 2nd, 1pm.  Digging Hill 80, Archaeology of a World War One Battlefield  This is one of three programs I'm doing in an "archaeology series" for Chippewa Falls Community Education.  Like the others it is an updated version of something I did for the Chippewa Valley Learning in Retirement program.  I now have the benefit of better photos of the conserved artifacts, and of course the somber reburial of the dead, at least one of whom was identified by our efforts.  

March 24th, 1pm.  Robotics in Education I'm doing this one for the Learning in Retirement program.  It's part of our efforts to help the Pablo Center for the Arts get a team going for next year's campaign.  I'm hoping we have enough of our robotics team around on spring break week that I can just be a sort of "ringmaster" while robots and students amaze retirees.  I did something along these lines three years ago and it worked out  pretty well, but that one was done in Chippewa Falls.  This will be at the Pablo Center proper, a rather impressive space. 

March 31st, time TBD.  Brewery History of Western Wisconsin  This one is at the Chippewa Valley Museum and is part of a series they are doing on the German heritage of our area.  Some Learning in Retirement members suggested I just redo the Forgotten Brewery Caves  talk that went well last fall, but I'll try to be a bit more wide ranging. Not that a few cave photos won't turn up also.

April 6th, 1pm.  Visiting Rome.  Skip the Colliseum. Another reworking of a prior program for the Chippewa Falls Community Ed folks.  This one might actually be the most difficult one to pull together, it reprises one from years back and neither my photographic skills nor my Powerpoint mojo have held up well.  Lots of work on this one.

April 20th, 1pm. Vindolanda, Archaeology of Hadrian's Wall.  Also for Chippewa Community Ed.  This should be an easy one....I'll be in the final packing up stage for the 2020 digging trip to Vindolanda and should be "in the zone" for this.  Also I've availed myself of some images of recent finds that are spectacular.

If anyone is interested in attending these, here's the particulars:

For the Chippewa Falls community ed programs, info at:  Cardinal Learning

Here's the Chippewa Valley Museum calendar.  It has not been updated yet.

The Learning in Retirement Program wants you to be a member and sign up in advance HERE.  But if you turned up and said you were a friend of the robotics team I think you'd be fine.  


No comments: