Friday, January 3, 2020

Dispatches from an Alternate Work Shop

My long years of involvement in student robotics projects have taught me a lot.  For instance, Sharpie markers....you never have enough of them.  They end up on the floor, in seldom used parts bins, in people's pockets.  So when you need one it is always a time wasting scramble.  

In fact, one question I pose to new roboteers is:  "Is it possible to ever have too many Sharpies?".  I have always held that the answer is, no, this is not possible.

But even in my dotage I am seeing new things, learning new things.  It may be that I spoke too hastily and from too narrow a mind set.  I mean, is it theoretically possible that in some peculiar alternate universe where things are similar to ours but also radically different, that there might be Too Many Sharpies?



Well, perhaps.  But since we are not living and working in the Alternate Star Trek/Bearded Spock Universe, there will never be enough Sharpies.  So a few days before build season I decided to make a little "shop warming" present for the team.

My scrap pile included this piece of 80/20 extruded aluminum stock.  Oh, I should mention up front that it is probably not a good idea to scrutinize odd corners of the workshop that might be glimpsed in some of these photos..



Next, mark it up with - of course - a Sharpie.  And onto the drill press.



It's a good sized drill bit and it tends to chatter going through the upper gap space.  So go slowly while occasionally adding needed lubrication for both tool and operator.



Final result: a 13 space Sharpie holder that can be mounted on any workbench, robot, wall that is desired.



So will a Baker's Dozen Sharpies actually be enough?  Oh, of course not.  In our universe there are never enough Sharpies.



1 comment:

Weetabix said...

You can only have too many Sharpies if you're swimming and they outweigh you.