Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Packing Light for Digging

When I go overseas on an archaeology jaunt I have my rules.  Carry on bag only.  Bring nothing extra.  I have always considered extra "stuff" when traveling as impedimenta. It's basically like carrying an anchor around.

But how to manage two weeks of grubbing about in mud and dirt, then another week of add on walking holiday.....and fit it all into the over head compartment?

I sometimes cheat a little, leaving digging kit in England with friends.  But I don't like to impose.

I will also on rare occasions shop local thrift stores - called "Charity Shops".  I only do this when the long range weather forecast proves faulty.  

But generally my carry on only digging kit works out just fine.  A few tips.




1. Don't get muddy.  But wait, mud is everywhere on a dig site.  True.  So I wear my rainsuit pants when I am working in waterlogged strata or on any day it might rain.  I favor the Frogg Toggs brand.  They are tough, wind resistant and sometimes I don't need to bring an extra warm layer like fleece.  (Note that in the above picture it was hot and dry.  I just let the Carhartt work pants take their chances.  They are pretty much the same color as the dirt anyway.

2. Minimize the numbers of shoes you bring.  They are difficult to pack and you can only wear one pair at a time anyway.  Lately I have brought these ultra light weight Wellies for actual on site wear.  Also my hiking boots for back and forth to the site.  And I have one pair of shoes for pub wear.




3. Nothing wrong with washing up things in hotel rooms.  I carry along a small supply of laundry soap.  For the benefit of border security staff the bag of white powder is labeled "Laundry Soap".  A gallon zip lock bag, a pinch of soap, agitate a bit...and the place I stay has a drying room with racks and an industrial sized heater/dehumidifier.

4. Leave stuff behind.  Sometimes you acquire things on a trip.  One item into the bag means one item taken out.  Shoddy garments go to the trash.  Last year in Belgium I noticed a collection bin for used clothes.  I donated generously.

5. Repair capacity.  Small sewing kit, partial roll of red duct tape, short length of paracord.

6. Only bring one set of presentable garb.  You wear this on the plane so it almost does not count as packing.  Mostly you'll be hanging out in pubs with other people who appreciate digging about in dirt.  They are tolerant.  But on occasion a nicer bistro or an invite to somebody's domicile could warrant a bit better apparel.

7. Electronic devices are problematic.  Bring as few as you can manage.  Your phone can probably do everything that your laptop, alarm clock, watch, camera could do.  Back up cords and chargers...maybe if electronics are a priority for you.  If not, assume most hostelries have a lost and found full of international converters and phone chargers. 

8. Empty bags of various sizes.  For lunch, dirty laundry etc.  And I always carry a small pocket kit.  Sunscreen (seldom used in Northumbria), assorted emergency medications, an extra bootlace, a lucky coin.

9. I am able to fit everything necessary into one bag.  I am quite fond of the Osprey Porter 46.  It has very comfortable back pack straps that fold in when you don't want them catching on the inside of overhead compartments.  Quite comfortable to carry for miles if necessary.  I understand the newer models have a laptop pouch would would be a nice feature for the small Chromebook I use for travel.

10. And always remember, the ideal pack up has you using each and every item you brought.  On the coldest day you should have on every layer you own and be just warm enough!

No comments: