Friday, April 19, 2019

Blogroll Part Two



Part Two of a look at my "blog roll" that ancient - for the internet - way of highlighting things I read with some frequency, and that sometimes link with the things I write.  Trust me kids, this was a common convention a decade ago.  Now it just says a few things about your humble correspondent.

Red Letter Media  This is an interesting one.  It is a gang of film makers in Milwaukee that turn out genius level satire and social commentary in the form of film reviews and the occasional original production.  It is way more insightful than the Hollywood tripe they comment on.  It is also at times quite vulgar.  That is a failing of modern humor, the tendency to go for the gross and/or tawdry variety.  Often it is sheer lazy on display but RLM is never, ever lazy.  I think there is a line where vulgarity adds to humor and just over that line it significantly detracts from it.  RLM is on the tolerable side.  Many other purveyors of humor, some quite well crafted, are over the line.  I have for example tried to watch "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" but just can't do it.

Moose and Hobbes  An old friend who wanders the Western and occasionally Eastern worlds in search of archaeology and punk music festivals.  There are also many cats involved.

Next Door Laura An even older friend who got me started on blogging.  I think NDL got so tired of hearing my stories that a suggestion that a wider audience might be better was strictly a way to distract and divert me.  Like many early blogs it is now updated very infrequently.

Dr. Beachcombing's Bizarre History Blog   "Beach" as he styles himself, lives an extremely interesting life.  Although we have often corresponded over the years I am still not entirely convinced that his created persona is not a magnificent fabrication.  Sadly he appears to be on an extended hiatus for reasons that may or may not be simply a means to further the penumbra of mystery....

Chippewa Falls Robotics This is the website for the FIRST robotics team I helped start a few years back.  Like many such student generated efforts it got off to a pokey start, blossomed rapidly, and since then has just sat there.  It awaits revival, but is a reminder of fun times past and perhaps future.

No comments: