Monday, November 5, 2018

Maybe I should clean the Shop Floor more often...

My robotics workshop is in the basement.  It sounds better to call it a secret underground laboratory but that is a stretch.

It is often a mess, especially during transition times when the detritus of one project comes home and the materials for a new one are being lined up.

The other day I swept the floor.  Now I do this periodically, but for some reason I saw something this time that had escaped me in the past.



The initials CM are scratched into the cement.

I'm not sure why this has escaped me in the past, I mean I do sweep the place up.  Several times a year.  

I think the reason is that the coat of battleship grey paint that my son put on one summer vacation when he was "bored" is finally starting to wear thin from much dragging of equipment back and forth.

CM probably indicates a member of the Martin family.  We are only the fourth owners of this old house, it was built by a man named Martin circa 1910.  When I started practice here in the mid 1980s some old timers still called it "The Martin House".  

Probably if I look a bit harder I'll see some mementos of my kids carved into various surfaces waiting to be discovered by the eighth or ninth owners long after my departure.

No comments: