Monday, October 15, 2018

Going Back to University after age 60. Not quite Free....but cheap.

Note please, this information pertains specifically to the State of Wisconsin.  Similar programs exist in many other states.  Have a look at A Senior Citizen Guide for College for details.




Lets say you are a dutiful, tax paying citizen of the fine state of Wisconsin.  You've done your share to make the Badger State budget work, and now our old pal and Spirit Animal Totem Bucky Badger would like to do a little something for you in return.  How'd ya like to go to school for free after age 60?

There are of course strings attached.  You only get into classes that have empty spots after the regular, tuition paying students get first dibs.  That's fair, the youngsters have to try to fit all the puzzle pieces together in a fashion that gets them a degree in a reasonable number of years.

Oh, and you will be auditing the class.  No grades.  No credit towards a degree.  In theory you don't even have to do the tests and homework but I have yet to meet a Senior Student who is not eager to tear into exams and show what they've got.

This offer applies to both the University of Wisconsin system and to all of the Technical Colleges.  I've taken advantage of both.

Now, about that free part.

I've previously gone to the local Tech College on an over 60 audit basis, so I knew that no tuition does not really mean free.  There are books to purchase. A parking permit perhaps.  And there are some "fees".  When making inquiries about University I was told that the fee was a reasonable sounding $60.

Your starting point for information such as this should be the Admissions office.  Usually there is a contact person specifically for "Special Students", and in my case she was very helpful.  I was told you have to first enroll as a regular student then change your designation.

There were a few other formalities.  I got a photo ID.  As previously mentioned I took a placement test to see which section of German I should be taking.  I had to contact the instructor and get permission to audit his class.

When I went online to pay the bill it was a ridiculous amount.  $1,417.  For one four credit class. That of course was the full ticket, no student aid price.  After a few more forms had been filled out I got a revised bill.  It was still $612.  Clearly the computer system and/or its human minions were not fully grasping the concept.  Another trip back, another pleasant chat with an employee of about my vintage.  Oh, how about $240.  Now this is reasonable, and somewhat reflects my initial info.  I was not told at the time that it was $60 per credit, but hey, its worth it.  

Basically everything you've heard about the escalating cost of higher education appears to be true.  I won't even tell you what the fairly simple text books I acquired cost, but even with one on a "rental" basis the tab would have, back in the day, paid for my Friday nights at Culla's Tavern for a full semester.

But keeping the big picture in mind, I figure that if instead of going to college four days a week I went to an upscale coffee joint and sat there for a couple of hours I would be spending more and learning less.

So be persistent in your pursuit of knowledge.  And of the correct price tag.




No comments: