Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Academic Life on the Margins

I try to take the sillier aspects of modern campus life seriously.  I really do.  But the other day I was on my way to an exam and distractedly got off on the wrong floor.  And lo and behold I found yet another office that seems to exist for reasons of political correctness.  There are more than a few of these.*

Of course I am sympathetic to people with problems.  But you know, strictly speaking as I meander about with students roughly 45 years younger than myself....a case could be made that I am the marginalized one.**

I mean, I'm old, unemployed and can't hear as well as I used to.  That strikes me as some kind of trifecta.


I won't do it of course but I admit to a moment of temptation.  I could show up and volunteer to be part of their research project.  Exactly what the input of a cantankerous straight, male conservative would do to their data collection is unclear but one hopes it would play merry hob with it.
--------------
* My survey is far from comprehensive but in casual wandering I have found three "safe spaces", as well as additional specific places for women and gay folks.  To be fair I also ran across the Veteran's Lounge mentioned previously and even a small study area for Non Traditional Students.  I guess that's me. 

** I consider myself something of a "Stranger in a Strange Land" in this setting. Anyone who would take offense at my musings might consider this to be the mirror image of a young, progressive person with multicolored hair and political views to match getting a job at the local Country Club.  I'd expect wry insights on how silly the Elks and Kiwanis clubs were in their natural settings.  And I'd find them humorous.  Perhaps extended life on this planet just makes one better able to smile over things that could make others fume.  

No comments: