Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Tree Shaped Tombstones - The Bohemian National Cemetery Part Two

More photos from the fabulous Bohemian National Cemetery.

"Occupational" designs on Tree Shaped Tombstones are always nice.  Here is an easy one:



Mr. Ostrovsky clearly worked for the streetcar company.  Now a slightly tougher one:



Was Mr. Mesce a carpenter or a stone mason?  The form of these tools is just a bit unfamiliar. 

Ready for a really tough one?  Like me you looked at this magnificent specimen and thought: Railroad Employee.



Look closer.  See the odd stuff going on at the front of the locomotive?



The sad story of Matej Sidlo was found in a 2010 edition of the Friends of the Bohemian National Cemetery newsletter.  Matej (Matthew in Anglicized version) was driving a beer delivery wagon that was hit by a train.  Those are kegs flying!  I must confess to being a little surprised that his family would chose to preserve this tragic memory in the permanence of stone.

Here's one that is probably not an occupational design.



I have seen a few of these around....once in France of all places.  Sure, the guy could have been a wheelwright or a teamster but these wheels always have a break in the top.  I suspect it is intentional imagery.  "May the Circle Be Unbroken" sort of sentiments.

Below is an odd little detail that I can't explain.  You sometimes see monuments with this network of holes drilled out.  It does not appear to be mimicing anything in nature.  I wonder if these were designed with the thought that flowers could be stuck into them?



It is always a treat to find an entirely new format for Tree Shaped Tombstones.  At Bohemian National I encountered a number of monuments with branches crossing up top.  I don't remember seeing this anywhere else.

A monument for Edward and Anna Hanzelin.



Anna does not look happy in this picture.

High arching branches.


Here is a very fancy version.  It actually has two uprights and a cross branch. 



One of the nicer, and larger, doves I have run across. 



4 comments:

JayNola said...

Maybe a quarryman? The rougher chisel and Hammer seem like something I've seen before.

Tacitus said...

That was my suspicion as well. T

Jeffrey Smith said...

Completely off topic, but I came across a book in the library which will probably interest you
Max Adams
In the Land of Giants
Published last year. Derived from a series of (mostly) hikes focused on early Britain and Ireland (boat and motorcycle also figure). He does a bit of the Wall, among other places. No index, so I don't know if Vinolanda appears, but the general topic seems right up your angiportus.

Tacitus said...

Thanks Jeff. Britain is so stinkin' with history that you can find it everywhere but a bit of focus always helps. As I am at a point where there is more travel miles in the rear view mirror than on the road ahead I am finding a need to be more selective. Each journey undertaken is another road not to be traveled......

T