Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Product Review - A Cheap Deer Hunting Blind

We will be a bigger hunting party this year.  That means more locations to scout and prepare.  Last year we deployed four tree stands.  And sometimes I went with the on the ground option.  The younger generation is willing to climb quite a bit higher than I am.  In my mid 60's I think I've earned the privilege of staying attached to terra firma.

But the deer, at least those who are still around after Opening Day, get exponentially smarter and I've had occasions where they spotted me at ranges I had not expected.  So I decided a ground blind - basically just a camouflage tent - would be a worthwhile addition to our inventory.  

The local Guy Store was selling these pretty cheap.


For about 50 bucks I did not have great expectations.  It was clearly made in China and the term "spring steel" often means "breaks right away".  But up it popped.


Although billed as a two person blind any chair comfy enough to spend long patient hours in would take up more than 50% of the available space.  One option that is somewhat popular with sportspersons in our area might work....five gallon pails with insulated tops.

The camo looks different in direct and indirect light.  The grumpy looking fellow peering out looks about the same in either.


The full camo is only used during bow season, something I had considered when our prospects for antlerless tags was uncertain.  For gun season it is required, and very prudent, to have at least 144 square inches of blaze orange showing on each side.   A bit of ingenuity will be required, as I don't trust the fabric when it comes to just pinning something onto it.

Overall I was pretty happy with the unit.  It packs up nicely if you follow the specific and rather arcane instructions.  Honestly you have to twist and fold in ways that make you worry not only about the spring steel but the very fabric of time and space.

HME Spring Steel 75.  As their website has it for sale at a hundred bucks I'm feeling extra good about the price.

No comments: