Friday, October 1, 2021

Salty Dog

Out for a walk on a magnificent fall day.  I had some business over at the High School, and on my stroll home the Marching Band was enthusiastically practicing.  That always puts a bit of spring in the step so I swung past the bleachers for a closer look and listen.  And saw this:


I thought "my gracious that's an enormous barbeque grill".  I did not recall concessions being that big a deal at the football games.  The main interest of the adult fans is watching their kids out on the field.  The main interest of the student fans is watching each other.  This area under the bleachers has probably seen enough high drama over the years to fill a shelf of YA novels.  

Hmmmmm.


Something this big should be on a more substantial and permanent frame.  And what's this?


I should have gotten a close up, this is a warning sticker advising you to not get too close to a "Turning Spinner".  Guess somebody really likes to lay on the salt, which to be fair is a long term hazard.  Ah, here's the other end of the machine:


Amused as I am by the prospect of a gigantic grill with arcane warning stickers I have concluded that what SaltDogg really does is distribute salt on the frozen sidewalks and driveways that will be upon us soon enough.  The thing that puzzled me at first was the lightweight supporting frame.  You won't be pulling that around through snow and over rough ice flows.  It must mount on a pickup truck, and as the need for salt is seasonal even here in Wisconsin, SaltDogg sits around with not much to do for about 8 months of the year.

I hope.  If it turns out to be a long, nasty winter I think Dogg will be happier about it than I will.


No comments: