Friday, September 18, 2020

Strange Fishing Challenge Day Four

For those arriving late, this is my silly quest to catch 20 species of fish in seven days of fishing.  I started the day with 9 species accounted for after three days.....

I really had not intended to do another Fishing Challenge Day.  It was supposed to be cold and rainy and I had an appointment in the early afternoon.  But I threw the gear in the vehicle anyway, and around 2:30 tossed a line into a spot on the Chippewa River where I'd been told some weird fish could be found.

Now normally I designate a first trip to a spot as a scouting day....the Fishing Challenge Day does not start until I say it does.  But the fish were biting, and as promised, they were weird.

This is a spot below a hydro dam.  Fish tend to swim upstream until they can't go further....then sit below the dam and feed on things that wash through..  I was bottom fishing mostly, just toss a hook full of night crawlers to the right spot and see what happens.

My first catch was a substantial fish but it kicked loose just as I pulled it onto shore.  I had you see neglected to bring a landing net.  Not long after I hauled in this guy:


This is a silver redhorse.  Not a common species, it's a big help on the way to 20.  He was probably three or four pounds.  Next up...


A small mouth buffalo.  Definitely an odd one.  This time I was ready, I had on a mechanics glove to grab him and toss him on shore.  And I gently held him down for hook removal and a photo.  This may have been the same species as the one that hopped back in the drink while I was reaching for my camera.  Same piggy eyes.

I fished a bit longer with no more luck.  As the sun set I tried another spot upstream.  My son and grandson have caught catfish there.  I sat there and drank a beer as the sun set.  A train went over the bridge.  Probably fish swam by, you couldn't prove it by me. 


But since the Fishing Challenge Day runs 24 hours from the point I declare one....there was the next morning.

Next morning it rained.  I fished and fished and caught nothing.  20 species is going to be hard, but the two I got on Day Four were odd ones that I could not have bagged had I gone specifically looking for them.  Presumably further fishing days on hold until spring.  

11 species down, 9 to go.  Gonna be hard.


No comments: