Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Cheech and Chong take up Gardening. Or maybe Sailing...

Because I'm just sure this is all about hemp in the sense of using the fiber to make rope.  Yes, that's it....

Another aspect to no overseas archaeology trip this year is that I'll have plenty of time to take out my frustrations on our community garden plot.  In a normal year I turn it over to about a 12 inch depth.  This time I might hit bedrock.

The garden supply catalogs of course arrived a couple of months ago.  And this year I noticed something new.  A nice two page spread that exhorted us to:


"...give HEMP a go!"

Naturally I assumed they meant that the many useful qualities of industrial fiber production could now be furthered by community gardeners.  Oh, and I'm putting this image up front and center not really knowing what Facebook would make of some direct images from the catalog...  


With that out of the way...



Boy, there's a lot going on with this page.  Let's take a closer look.



Do growing plants really need a total blackout cover?  Or is this to keep your neighbors from seeing the eerie blue light coming out of your basement and calling "The Man"?



Yes.  Because it's really all about that industrial fiber, isn't it.

Absent from this order form and from the company's actual website is any place to buy, well, seeds.  I half expected there to be an order form that said "You're really from Colorado, right?  wink, wink".

I don't mind having a bit of fun with this but  it does reflect the new reality that in some states Hemp (errr. marijuana) is legal.  For medicinal purposes only.  wink, wink.

It does not interest me particularly but I do feel a bit of vindication.  The local garden club for years had a profitable fund raiser in the form of a big plant sale.  I simply advised them to get out ahead of the curve and be ready - once Wisconsin goes to pot - to sell, errr, "medicinal hemp" plants.  They'd make money there, sure.

But these gals were a bunch of seriously good cooks and bakers.  I'm thinking the Munchies bake sale items that happened to be for sale right next to the "medicinal hemp" plants would be the real gold mine!

1 comment:

Gorges Smythe said...

It aggravates me that something so useful as NORMAL hemp is basically being ignored while people misuse the legitimate medical aspect of the potent stuff to catch a buzz.