Friday, June 29, 2018

Road Trip Trees

A couple of Tree Shaped Tombstones from a June road trip.  Odd balls today.

I don't usually bother with this style of monument.  There is something unimpressive about a stack of logs.  But this one caught my eye.  The base is of the usual limestone that I have become so fond of.  The top log is red granite.  It seemed quite odd to see them mixed this way.  I wondered if this was a repair job.


Still not sure, the two stone types did overlap in popularity and the fit is pretty good.   


I ran across this new (1970s) tombstone in a tiny hamlet.  On the one hand it pleases me that people are, or at least recently were, still creating these in something like the old style.  On the other hand, those bears gotta go.  It got me thinking about what my own "Spirit Animal" would be. For now I am going with Capuchin monkey or Possum.


This one got me thinking, because it had the look of something created more by machine than by hand carving.  I theorized that CNC technology has advanced a great deal since this was made, and that perhaps my long standing (and hopefully long delayed) wish for my own elaborate Tree Shaped Tombstone might be practical.  Courtesy of You Tube here is what stone cutting CNC can do in the 21st century...



No comments: