Friday, November 25, 2011

A Klingon Christmas

As I mentioned when discussing amphitheaters, the whole notion of fighting and blood shed as entertainment leaves me a bit cold.  But I know who would like it.

Klingons, that's who!


And right in time for the holidays I bring you tidings of....A Klingon Christmas Carol.

This is so far as is known, the only full length play ever written and performed in Klingon.  It has had a very successful run in Minneapolis and last year expanded to Chicago.

It is a re-telling of the Charles Dickens story "A Christmas Carol".

So, you think I'm kidding, don't you?

I went to see it a couple of years ago, accompanied by my Number Three son.  His has been the most eclectic upbringing of our little tribe.

As I recall the ticket office was manned by humans, but all other staff including some highly impressive ushers, were in full Klingon mode.

As to the production it was delivered with gusto.  I image that most actors enjoy a role where subtle nuanced performance can be discarded.  These are lusty, expansive, boisterous characters.  You can chew the scenery a bit.  Literally I suspect.

The lines indeed are all delivered in Klingon.  There is a system of projection screens giving the real time English translation.  I suppose it is possible that there was the occasional flubbed line here and there.  Who really would know?  Just spit out a collection of sharp edged consonants and keep going!

There is also a narrator, in this case a rather dispassionate Vulcan.  She spoke in English for our benefit, the display screens only being used when she used a Klingon word that needed translation.

Her first lines:

"Marley was dead.  He was as dead as a Glask'ek"

And the display screen flashed "Red Shirt".

The audience was delighted.  We all got the joke.

If you didn't get it then perhaps you are not their prime market demographic.

But if you wanted to go, here is the ticket info for the upcoming season.

Minnesota performance?  As of my scheduling this post the Minnesota production seems tentative...

Klingons in Chicago!

I would display caution in the purchase of concessions.

Gaakk

No comments: